PBA is one of the few schools in the country to offer medicinal and biological chemistry majors at the bachelor’s degree level and one of few Christian institutions to offer a biology concentration in marine biology and an oceanography minor.
When it comes to location, there’s no better place to study the natural sciences. You’ll benefit from our close proximity to Lake Worth Lagoon, the Atlantic Ocean, the Everglades and Lake Okeechobee. In fact, one of North America’s great coral reefs is only two hours from Palm Beach Atlantic. The area teems with life, including sea turtles gliding across the ocean floor and nesting on the beaches.
Wanting to study mathematics or computer science? You’ll benefit from studying in one of the top economic regions in the country — home to Fortune 500 companies and exceptional nonprofit organizations where you can intern, work while at PBA or pursue graduate school or a rewarding career after graduation.
Biology — with concentrations in the following:
Botany, Environmental Science and Field Biology
Graduate School Preparation
Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
Pre-Health Professional Preparation
Computer Information Systems
Mathematics and Computer Science (dual major)
Medicinal & Biological Chemistry — with concentrations in Biology and Pharmaceuticals
Natural Science at PBA
Textbooks come to life when you study at PBA, a university that is just minutes from the Atlantic Ocean and other natural habitats, including Lake Worth Lagoon, Lake Okeechobee and the Everglades. Biology and Medicinal and Biological Chemistry students benefit from the numerous research facilities in South Florida.
PBA is one of only a few schools in the country to offer a medicinal and biological chemistry major at the bachelor level and is one of the few Christian institutions to offer a concentration in marine biology and an oceanography minor.
Many of our students have gone on to medical or graduate schools for further study. Some of these institutions include Florida State University, Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Southern College of Optometry, University of Central Florida (M.D. and Ph.D.), University of Florida College of Medicine, University of Miami (M.D., M.S., and Ph.D.) and University of South Florida School of Medicine.
Join the Science, Marine Biology and Pre-Health clubs at PBA and experience field trips and other activities. Our students are prepared to go on to graduate or professional programs, or to exciting careers as professional scientists in:
- Zoo Curator
- Environmental Consultant
- Fisheries/Wildlife Enforcement
- Environmental Health Specialist
- Food Technologist
- Medical Lab Technician
- Consumer Safety Officer
- Quality Assurance Manager
- Research and Development
- Forensic Science
- Museum Conservation
- Business ownership
- Fisheries Services
- The Military
- Environmental Protection Agencies
- Marine-oriented companies
- Atmospheric sciences
At PBA, you will:
- Participate in exciting educational trips, including to the Galapagos or the Everglades.
- Have fun through events like our Great American Bug Race.
- Experience an education grounded in the liberal arts with a Christian perspective.
- Learn from professors who are committed Christians — and experts in their fields.
- Enjoy a 13:1 student-to-faculty ratio and an average class size of just 18.
- Develop essential skills in writing, speaking and communication — no matter your area of study.
- Grow in your confidence and build your resume by presenting at national conferences.
- Engage in hands-on learning, whether it’s doing research in a natural habitat or interning at an area firm.
- Enhance your knowledge and skills through clubs and organizations, like the Mathematics Club or the Marine Biology Club.
Mathematics & Computer Science at PBA
The Mathematics and Computer Science Department was selected as one of just 39 colleges and universities to receive a HP Technology for Teaching grant, designed to improve learning in the classroom through technology. PBA used this grant to redesign calculus courses to help students like you express calculus concepts from a graphical, tabular, symbolic and verbal standpoint.
You’ll benefit from clubs like the Mathematics Club, activities like Pi Day and free tutoring and computer-based support in math. You will be prepared for advanced studies in graduate or professional programs and for careers in:
- Credit Manager
- Information Scientist
- Inventory Control Specialist
- Marketing Research Analyst
- Bank Officer
- Computer Programmer
- Loan Officer
- Computer Programming
- Internet-oriented Programming
- Legacy Systems Conversion
- Information Systems Security