It is a wonderful space filled with Florida sunshine that draws students to the books, publications, technology and one another. While there are places for solitary study, the overall atmosphere of the Warren Library encourages conversation and collaboration. The comfortable three-story, 86,000-square-foot facility provides Wi-Fi access throughout and houses more than 220,000 volumes (print and online), 127 computers, seating for 647 and 26 study rooms. Amenities include:
- Lassiter Rotunda — an expansive, three-story reading room of classic elegance
- Yeager Patio — second-floor patio on the east side of the Lassiter Rotunda, perfect for studying in the beautiful Florida sunshine
- Collaborative study spaces — with areas for individual or group study with computer access
- John D. MacArthur Café — a first-floor coffee shop/restaurant, operated by Einstein Bros. Bagels
- Casual Patio — first-floor patio off the café
- Center for Teaching Excellence — focusing on faculty development
- Center for Writing Excellence — focusing on improving writing skills
- University Archives & Special Collections
- Marshall and Vera Lea Rinker Boardroom
Since the founding of Palm Beach Atlantic University in 1968, the mission of the library has been to be “the central learning space for the Palm Beach Atlantic community.” Originally the library was named after E.C. Blomeyer, the former chair of the board of what is now GTE Corporation. His wife originally donated $80,000 in her husband’s memory out of respect for Dr. Jess C. Moody, PBA’s founder and the former pastor of First Baptist Church of West Palm Beach. Mrs Blomeyer also made gifts for additional library resources for many years to come. The library’s Lassiter Rotunda, dedicated in 2009, began as the church’s sanctuary in 1932 after the great hurricane of 1928 levelled most of West Palm Beach. The church was built after an enterprising group of men used bricks from places such as a saloon and bootlegger’s establishment that were damaged or destroyed in the hurricane.
The Warren Library, dedicated on Jan. 26, 2007, is named after longtime PBA supporters the late Dr. Donald Warren and his wife, Bebe. With their help, guidance and inspiration, the University undertook the $32-million project. During Phase 1, the old library was demolished to make way for the current, four-story, state-of-the-art facility. Read about Don Warren in Current Magazine.
The Lassiter Rotunda is named after longtime PBA supporters Aneice and William G. Lassiter Jr. The $12-million renovation of the historic octagonal building, completed by the library’s contractor, the Weitz Company, included returning the structure to its 1932 grandeur. The steel roof was assembled on the ground and then placed atop the structure with a crane. A cupola, 73 feet above the ground, tops the building. The rotunda also features stained glass windows, designed by McMow Art Glass of Lake Worth, Florida.
In a speech to the Forum Club of the Palm Beaches, Sen. George LeMieux (R-Fla.) announced that his senatorial papers and other memorabilia from his 16 months of service in the U.S. Senate will be archived in Palm Beach Atlantic University’s Warren Library.
Warren Library Digital Exhibits provides access to selected collections of digitized materials from the University Archives and Special Collections.