Why Study Philosophy of Religion at PBA?
The Philosophy of Religion master’s program equips you with tools and perspectives to ignite positive change in diverse communities. This multi-cultural, multi-denominational environment pursues truth in the church and the academy through training in rigorous analytic philosophy in conversation with theology and culture. Fueled by the conviction that Christ is the source of all wisdom, you’ll join fellow Kingdom-minded students in the quest for human flourishing.
- Spiritual Growth: Uncover deep truths about the traditions of thought and faith that undergird our understandings of God and scripture.
- Specialized Training: Prepare for PhD work in philosophy or related fields as well as public-facing ministry in the church, para-church, or public square.
- The Public Square: Inject Christian insight into politics, law, economics, media, and broader culture as a public intellectual tethered to the love of Christ.
- Hybrid Learning Option: the MAPR program is offered in two tracks: residential and hybrid. For distance (hybrid) students, balance your schedule between online courses and one-week on-campus intensives in early January and October.
What You’ll Learn
Become a twenty-first-century Christian leader, and invest in the collective future of our faith by:
- Evaluating and synthesizing key Christian doctrines from a philosophical perspective
- Developing critical thinking and integrative skills in Christian doctrine
- Articulating philosophically-informed Christian responses to spheres of contemporary culture and society
- Cultivating your faith, emotional maturity, and moral integrity
M.A. Philosophy of Religion with a M.Div. Degree
Transform your ministry potential with PBA’s Master of Divinity and Master of Arts Philosophy of Religion (M.Div. + MAPR) dual-degree program. Integrate vocational ministry training with spirited theological and philosophical engagement, aiming to ask deep questions and uncover foundational truths through scripture and Christian heritage.
Chart Your Path. Launch Your Future.
Engage in the passionate pursuit of truth, goodness, and beauty in Christ through the rigorous study of philosophy. At PBA, we engage thoughtfully with culture through public philosophy, ethics, science, theology, and art, pursuing Christ-centered wisdom and knowledge to empower our neighbors and find purpose in the world. You’ll learn in small, vibrant classes led by highly respected Christian philosophers and ministry veterans.
Examine public philosophy, ethics, ontology, theories of knowledge, history of and contemporary issues in philosophy, and special topics like the philosophy of science, literature, and technology.
Your application for the Philosophy of Religion master’s program should demonstrate that you hold a baccalaureate degree in a ministry major (or with relevant prerequisites) with a GPA of at least 2.75. Along with your online application, you’ll provide a philosophy of religion essay, writing sample, two letters of recommendation, and all official transcripts.
When you think critically, pursue curiosity, and invest in Christ’s ministry, you open new vistas of fulfilling career paths carved by Kingdom work. A robust foundation in Christian philosophy equips you to positively impact lives in churches, universities, and corporate settings. Your analytical expertise will be sought after for roles from international student minister to think tank consultant, professor to youth pastor, business analyst to full-time theologian. Work in realms like:
- Church staff
- Campus ministry
- Corporate hubs
- Systematic (analytic) theology