Why Major in Elementary Education at PBA?
Become a highly competent teacher with a Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education from PBA. In your coursework and as a student teacher in a variety of classrooms—both in Florida and around the world—you’ll cultivate instructional skills in mathematics, science, social studies, and literacy. The ESOL component encompasses first- and second-language acquisition and methodologies, as well as current trends in ESOL teaching and assessment. Literacy coursework includes skills for teaching, assessing, and differentiating reading, writing, speaking, and listening.
- Christ-Focused Teaching: Beyond a one-size-fits-all approach to the classroom, you’ll learn to celebrate each of your students with the love of Christ by teaching in local Christian and public schools.
- Hands-On Learning: Practice your pedagogy in five fieldwork practicum placements and two full-time teaching residencies.
- Certifications and Endorsements: Earn your Florida teaching certificate in Elementary K-6, plus your Reading and ESOL endorsements.
- Teach Abroad: Seize global opportunities in an international classroom where you can teach through the lens of your faith. Learn more about PBA’s study abroad program.
What You’ll Learn
PBA’s Bachelor’s in Elementary Education program prepares you to guide intentional classrooms through:
- Applying concepts of human development and learning theories into your instructional design and lesson planning
- Creating safe, organized, equitable, flexible, inclusive, collaborative, and ultimately student-centered learning environments
- Incorporating deep and comprehensive knowledge into your instructional delivery and to facilitate learning in your subject areas
Chart Your Path. Launch Your Future.
Embrace your desire to nurture, mentor, and empower young people with a B.S. in Elementary Education. Building on robust experience in the classroom—both as a student and as a teacher—you’ll grow as a holistic supporter and dedicated educator for future generations.
Dive into all aspects of the classroom, from ethics and cultural dimensions to literacy, science, math, and social studies. You’ll complete over 96 hours of fieldwork and two semesters of full-time teaching residencies to put your learning into practice.
Dedicate your learning to the area of elementary education where you most want to grow—as a teacher, classroom assistant, or counselor.
Prepare for graduate counselor education with a concentration in hands-on play therapy. If you complete your master’s degree at PBA, your courses from this concentration will transfer as graduate credits.
Exceptional Student Education
Gain holistic skills and grow your classroom impact with qualifications in Exceptional Student Education (ESE). These courses are part of the B.S. Elementary Education, or you can choose to pair this concentration with other majors.
Early Childhood Education
Support young minds with a concentration in Early Childhood Education (ECE). Complete the necessary coursework in the Elementary Education major, or add this concentration to your studies in another program.
- Graduate from PBA’s Florida state-approved initial teacher preparation program
- Achieve passing scores on the General Knowledge (GK) Test, the Professional Education (Prof Ed) Test, and the Subject Area Examination (SAE)
- Send your Official Transcript to the Florida Department of Education in Tallahassee
- Apply to the state for certification: http://www.fldoe.org/edcert/
- Receive your letter of Eligibility from the Florida Department of Education
The Bebe Warren Scholars Program will offer scholarships to three qualified incoming freshmen and one qualified transfer student with an AA pursuing Elementary Education.
Influence young hearts and minds as a compassionate, committed, Christ-loving classroom guide. The Bachelor’s in Elementary Education equips you to educate each of your students as a whole, beloved person. These roles are in consistent demand, and salaries for kindergarten and elementary school teachers average over $61,000 per year. You’ll create lasting impact in roles like:
- Elementary school teacher
- Guidance counselor
- Admission counselor