Why Major in Communication at PBA?
Become an active global citizen with a first-hand understanding of mass media, civil discourse, and effective interpersonal skills. Through the thoughtful curiosity and inquisitive discernment encouraged on PBA’s diverse, collaborative campus, you will establish broad expertise in many dimensions of oral, written, and relational communication. With a concentration, you’ll invest further in the knowledge and experiences that suit your career goals in expansive professional contexts.
- Christ-Focused: Infuse your strategies and narratives with the unmatched love of Christ.
- Real-World Experience: Internships and other hands-on opportunities equip you for lifelong learning, leadership, and service.
- Multi-Dimensional Communication: Focus your Faith, Roots, and Reason core on communication-related courses across many disciplines.
- Study Abroad: Extend your curiosity in global communication contexts like Edinburgh, Florence, Valparaiso, and Cape Town. Learn more about PBA’s study abroad opportunities.
What You’ll Learn
The B.A. in Communication builds leaders who:
- Actively engage with society in face-to-face and digital settings
- Participate in discourse with meaningful statistical, rhetorical, and organizational analyses
- Apply faith to communications
- Negotiate and mediate conflict
- Practice effective communication skills in a variety of contexts
- Promote intellectual, spiritual, and emotional growth across cultural and social contexts
Embark on a quest to exhibit your skills, enrich your experience, and enlarge your network through PBA’s vibrant communications opportunities. Write, edit, and design for The Beacon Today, our digital campus news outlet, or exercise persuasion and rhetoric with the award-winning Sailfish Speech Performance & Debate Team. Off campus, you’ll expand your horizons in real-world internship placements with leading communication companies.
Chart Your Path. Launch Your Future.
From interpersonal communication to artificial intelligence, conflict resolution to speech performance, and church communication in the age of entertainment, PBA’s Bachelor’s in Communication program empowers you to cultivate clarity and build community through narratives.
Learn more about your classes and requirements in the course catalog.
Find your footing with essential courses in media, interpersonal communication, civil discourse, and communication theory, research, and ethics.
Deepen your exploration with focused study in one of the concentrations available to B.A. Communication students: speech & civil discourse; media studies; communication, faith & culture; or professional & applied communication.
Invest in your long-term success through a full-semester communications internship. Gain on-the-job experience in an immersive communications setting that prepares you for the dynamic opportunities you’ll uncover throughout your career.
Embrace diverse career paths. Growing, dynamic roles garner competitive salaries ranging from $48,000 to $78,000 per year (Bureau of Labor Statistics). With PBA’s hands-on internships, networking events, and other career preparation opportunities, you’ll follow your curiosity and find your purpose in fields like:
- Healthcare communication
- International relations and negotiations
- Social and human services