You love to tell stories, connect with audiences and collaborate with others to create something that impacts the heart and the mind. You’ll do that and more as a student in the theatre program at Palm Beach Atlantic University. Theatre students can participate in productions and performances, as the lights, sound and set are often designed by students. The purpose of the theatre program is to train students in the development of imaginative, purposeful, and skilled expression in the theatre, as well as provide for their artistic, intellectual and spiritual growth.
At PBA, you'll enhance your acting skills for both stage and screen, preparing you for a successful career. From major theatre, TV and film production in South Florida to Walt Disney World, Universal Studios and TV production in Orlando, the state of Florida has enormous hiring opportunities for actors.
Your Experience in Theatre
You'll be prepared for your future through a program that emphasizes:
- Educational and professional opportunities, whether you want to act, design or serve as a technician, stage manager, educator or church drama leader.
- Participation in sold-out performances of productions, such as The Drowsy Chaperone, and As You Like It.
- Early participation, as freshman can be cast in performances.
- Performing at a variety of venues, from the Fern Street Theatre to the Schwartz Theater at The Norton Museum of Art to the outstanding Kravis Center for the Performing Arts, within walking distance of PBA.
- Priority access to workshops at the Kravis Center and Palm Beach Drama Works.
- Collaboration with faculty and fellow students, who come from across the country and around the world.
- Learning in a Christ-centered environment— where your professors share the Christian worldview.
- Developing a solid understanding of the history and literature of the theatre.
- Engaging in hands-on learning through internships and experiences with seasoned professionals.
- Enhancing your knowledge and skills through clubs and organizations.
The Fern Street Theatre, a nearly 12,000-square-foot, two-story building on Fern Street, includes a “black box” theatre and houses offices, classrooms and performance space. It helps elevate students like you to the next level of skill and performance. Some of our performanced are event at the world-class Kravis Center.
You’ll learn from professors who have earned degrees from some of the top fine arts programs in the world.
Accomplishments of our professors include:
- Traveling to Calcutta, India to Cape Town, South Africa and Russia documenting the lives of prominent people including Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela, and Alexander Solzhenitsyn.
- Designing the scenery and lights for many local theatres, including Palm Beach Dramaworks, the Kravis Center, Palm Beach Shakespeare Festival and Burt Reynolds Institute Theatre.
- Touring with such artists as Carol Channing, Rich Little, Rita Moreno, Jerry Lewis and the Royal New Zealand Ballet.
- Acting and directing at some of the top regional AEA theatres in the country, including Chicago Shakespeare, Indiana Repertory, Lyric Stage in Dallas, Actor's Playhouse and Walt Disney World.
Your Opportunities in Theatre
Each year you may participate in about a half-dozen productions — ranging from Shakespeare to children’s theatre. Because we’re an undergraduate-only school, you won’t be competing with graduate students for a shot at performance opportunities. You’ll be considered for performances during freshman year.