Palm Beach Atlantic University

Mostly Cloudy

70 F

January 29, 2015

Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a government subsidized program that helps provide part time employment to students in financial need. Eligibility for Federal Work-Study (FWS) is based on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). At Palm Beach Atlantic University, the Office of Financial Aid determines student eligibility and allocates work study funds to students.


What PBA Students are saying:

Mark Costello:
"The Federal Work Study program has been a blessing. Not only does it provide funds for extra school expenses, but it is a great way to develop discipline, structure and time management skills during your education experience at PBA."

Jeni Chavez:
"Working in the Financial Aid Office has been a lot of fun! Not only do I get to work with a lot of great people, but I also learn about the financial aid process."



What can you do with a Federal Work-Study (FWS) job?

  • Explore career fields
  • Develop communication and organization skills
  • Learn time management
  • Gain job experience
  • Expand your resume
  • Build professional networks and references
  • Earn income to offset the cost of education


Students enjoy:

  • A positive Christian work environment
  • Flexible hours and schedules
  • On the job training
  • A sense of accomplishment


Frequently Asked Questions

How can I participate in the Federal Work Study program?

          1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

          2. After you receive your Financial Aid Award Letter, check your eligibility on the Federal Work-Study Eligibility Portal.

          3. Look and apply for jobs on PBA JobLink.

          4. After successfully getting hired, complete all necessary paperwork that will be given to you by your new employer.

          5. Attend a PBA Federal Work-Study orientation session.

How much money can I earn?
The amount of money you earn depends on several factors. First, you will have a certain amount of eligibility based upon the results of the FAFSA. Secondly, your department will have a specific budget to work with. Your department will assign you hours and they cannot exceed your eligibility as determined by the FAFSA. Keep in mind, your maximum eligibility may be larger than your departments budget.
Are Federal Work-Study earnings taxable?
Earnings are considered taxable income by both federal and state governments. However, FWS earnings are not included in the calculation of your eligibility for financial aid. The state of Florida does not have a state income tax.
How is my pay rate determined?
Your rate of pay is determined by your year in school and the nature of the work involved. For on-campus positions, the pay rates are as follows: Freshmen receive $8/hr; Sophomores receive $8-$9; Juniors $8-$10; and Seniors $8-$11. The rate of pay for jobs off-campus positions for all years is $10 per hour.
How will I be paid?
Federal Work-Study students are paid on the 5th working day of each month. Student may choose to receive direct deposit or a traditional check. All hours worked must be logged into the University’s Time Clock tracking system.
How many credits do I have to enroll in for Federal Work-Study eligibility?
Students must register for and maintain an enrollment status of half-time (6 credits) or greater to be eligible for Federal Work-Study. If, for any reason, your course load falls below half-time, you can no longer participate in the program and must stop working immediately.
901 S. Flagler Drive
West Palm Beach, FL 33401
888-GO-TO-PBA 888-468-6722