Since the founding of Palm Beach Atlantic University in 1968, the mission of the library has been to be “the central learning space for the Palm Beach Atlantic community.”
Originally the library was named after E.C. Blomeyer, the former chair of the board of what is now GTE Corporation. His wife originally donated $80,000 in her husband’s memory out of respect for Dr. Jess C. Moody, PBA’s founder and the former pastor of First Baptist Church of West Palm Beach. Mrs. Blomeyer also made gifts for additional library resources for many years to come.The library’s Lassiter Rotunda, dedicated in 2009, began as the church’s sanctuary in 1932, after the great hurricane of 1928 leveled most of West Palm Beach. The church was built after an enterprising group of men used bricks from places such as a saloon and bootlegger’s establishment that were damaged or destroyed in the hurricane.
The Warren Library, dedicated on Jan. 26, 2007, is named after longtime PBA supporters the late Dr. Donald Warren and his wife, Bebe. With their help, guidance and inspiration, the University undertook the $32-million project. During Phase 1, the old library was demolished to make way for the current, four-story, state-of-the-art facility.
The Lassiter Rotunda (below) is named after longtime PBA supporters Aneice and William G. Lassiter Jr. The $12-million renovation of the historic octagonal building, completed by the library’s contractor, the Weitz Company, included returning the structure to its 1932 grandeur. The steel roof was assembled on the ground and then was placed atop the structure with a crane. A cupola, 73 feet above ground, tops the building. The rotunda also features stained glass windows, designed by McMow Art Glass of Lake Worth, Florida.