Award-winning Student Videos 2012
Students and alumni of PBA’s School of Communication and Media wrote, directed and starred in the award-winning films in 2012.
The drama, "The Remnant" received recognition by winning the Grand Prize in the Video Drama category at the National Broadcasting Society Awards, and was a finalist in the New York Festivals' student production category. In the student production category at the AVA Awards, "The Remnant" received a platinum award and "The Biker," a gold award. The student-produced Nike commercial receive a gold AVA Award both in the cinematography and student production categories.
At the Videographer Awards in the student production category, "The Biker" received an Award of Excellence, and both "The Remnant" and Nike commercial, an Award of Distinction. Between the three, in the student competition categories, the films also received two Addy Awards, two Telly Awards and three Communicator Awards.
The awards are considered some of the most competitive in the film/television industry, according to Antonio Zarro, assistant professor of cinema-television.
About the Awards
- The Addy Awards are the annual awards of the American Advertising Federation. It is an international competition that recognizes all forms of advertising from media of all types.
- The Aurora Awards is an international competition designed to recognize excellence in the film and video industries. It specifically targets products, programs and commercials that would not normally have the opportunity to compete on a national level, by focusing on non-national commercials, regional or special interest entertainment and corporate sponsored film and video. Entries have come from across the United States and abroad, including from Russia, Denmark, Hong Kong, Germany, Australia and Mexico.
- The international AVA Awards recognizes outstanding work by creative professionals involved in the concept, writing, direction, shooting and editing of audio-visual materials and programs. Entrants include video and film production companies, web developers, advertising agencies, public relations firms, corporate and government communication departments, producers, directors, editors and shooters. The AVA Awards statuette is created by the Entenmann-Rovin Company of Los Angeles, the same craftsmen that produce the Golden Globes Awards.
- The Communicator Awards is an international awards program, which recognizes big ideas in marketing and communications.
- The National Broadcasting Society Awards competition, founded in 1962, encourages and rewards students for accomplishments in audio, video, scriptwriting, web development, as well as academic research and writing.
- The Telly Awards, since 1978, honor the very best local, regional and cable television commercials and programs, as well as the finest video and film productions, as well as work created for the web. Each Telly statuette is hand-made and customized by the craftsman at RS Owens, the same firm that produces the Oscar and the Emmy awards.
- The Videographer Awards is an international competition, which recognizes excellence in video productions, TV commercials/ news/ programs and digital media.