Palm Beach Atlantic University President William M.B. Fleming Jr. inspected fire and water damage to Oceanview Hall dormitory on Sunday. He was joined by his wife, Pam, and Dean of Students Kevin Abel.
At approximately 10:15 p.m. (ET) Saturday, a fire was reported on the sixth floor north side (female side) of Oceanview Hall on Palm Beach Atlantic University’s West Palm Beach, Fla. campus.
No one was injured in the incident.
The fire apparently started from a lit candle in one of the rooms. Fire and smoke damage was mostly limited to the room in which the fire started while some nine rooms sustained water damage.
"We were most impressed by everyone's attitude, team approach and the incredible restoration work already accomplished," Fleming said after the visit. "The restoration crew is making great progress. The (fire and water) damage is isolated and the smoke damage minimal."
As a result of the incident, 20 students and staff members are being temporarily housed at a nearby hotel.
"More work is to be done, but let us all give God the glory," said Fleming. "Our precious students are safe and our valuable property is being repaired.
"Once again, I see the spirit of PBA at work," he said. "It blesses my heart."