At approximately 10:15 p.m. (ET) Saturday, a fire was reported on the sixth floor north side (female side) of Oceanview Hall on Palm Beach Atlantic University’s West Palm Beach, Fla. campus.
No one was injured in the incident.
“First, we give thanks that everyone is safe,” PBA President William M.B. Fleming Jr. said. “Second, we are grateful that the damage was limited to a specific area.”
The fire apparently started from a lit candle in one of the rooms. Fire and smoke damage was mostly limited to the room in which the fire started while approximately nine rooms sustained some water damage.
Students were initially taken to their normal staging area and then moved to the Greene Complex until residents were able to return to the dorm. Residents of most floors are able to return to their rooms Saturday night, with the exception of sixth floor south. Residents of sixth floor north were assisted in finding housing for Saturday night and today University officials will determine if alternative housing is needed.
“I thank our entire PBA team for their quick response based on solid preparation and planning,” said Fleming.