|PBA dad Dwight Ott takes first place in the 2012 Panera Bread Family Fun Walk/Run.|
Sports lovers, arts enthusiasts, gamers and others will find plenty of activities suitable for family bonding time during Palm Beach Atlantic University’s Family Weekend, which begins Thursday, Oct. 10, and runs through Sunday, Oct. 13.
Family Weekend 2013 will include a family walk/run, laser tag, a family Nintendo Wii competition, volleyball games, a symphony concert, an art show and theatre performances. Family Weekend check-in will be held Friday, Oct. 11, and Saturday, Oct. 12, in the Lassiter Student Center. All registrations will be entered into a drawing for hotel gift certificates. The drawing will be held at the President’s Brunch on Saturday, Oct. 12. Entrants must be present to win.
Online registration and a complete schedule of events are available on the following web page: www.pba.edu/family-weekend. Among the highlights:
• Families can cheer the Lady Sailfish to victory as the volleyball team takes on Stonehill College, Georgia College, Claflin University and Georgia Regents University on Friday, Oct. 11, and Saturday, Oct. 12, during the Pepsi Bash at the Beach tournament in the Greene Complex for Sports and Recreation, sponsored by the Palm Beach County Sports Commission. The team achieved a 35-4 record last year and reached the NCAA Regional Tournament for the first time. Information is available at www.pbasailfish.com.
• A coffee house and mom bake-off will be held at 9 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 10, in the Lassiter Student Center. Dads are welcome to submit a favorite family recipe in this fun competition sponsored by Bed Bath & Beyond.
• A family Workship project will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. Friday, Oct. 11. Families will meet at the Lassiter Student Center and then travel to the Lourdes Noreen-McKeen retirement community to volunteer.
• The PBA Symphony Concert “From Russia with Love” featuring Robin Arrigo performing Rachmaninoff’s Second Piano Concerto will take place at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 11, in the DeSantis Family Chapel. For information, visit www.pba.edu/performances.
• Evening with the Artists, a showcase of student artwork with live music and refreshments, will be held from 9 to 11 p.m. Friday, Oct. 11, at Einstein Bros. Bagels and the Warren Library.
|PBA mom Arlene Smith holds her award-winning entry during the 2012 bake-off.|
• The Panera Bread Family Fun Walk/Run begins at 7:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, along the Intracoastal Waterway on Flagler Drive. Breakfast bites will be served compliments of Panera Bread.
• University President William M.B. Fleming Jr. will present the State of the University address hosted by Student Government and the Parents Council at 10 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, at the DeSantis Family Chapel. Afterward, the Parents Council will host the President’s Brunch from 10:30 a.m. to noon in the Weyenberg Center on the second floor of the Lassiter Student Center.
• At 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, the School of Nursing will hold a commitment ceremony in the DeSantis Family Chapel. During this ceremony, upper division nursing students make a commitment to the profession. A reception will follow.
• The Family Nintendo Wii Competition and laser tag will begin at 8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, in the Greene Complex for Sports and Recreation. Prizes will be awarded. The Nintendo Wii competition is sponsored by Best Buy.
• Throughout the weekend, the PBA Theatre Department will perform “Reeling” by Barry Kornhauser at the University’s Fern Street Theatre. Performance times are 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday and 2 p.m. on Saturday. Seating is limited. For information, contact Ticket Central at (561) 803-2970 or email@example.com.